Sunday, December 26, 2004

 

Goal Getter tip

"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how." Nietzsche

and I modify to "..who has a why for a goal can bear almost any how." If you don't know the deepest reason you are making a resolution, any obstacle will get you off your path. By deepest reason, I mean what benefits will this change give you? For example, let's say you want to stop smoking. If you do it to save money, that's one level of motivation. Does it mean that if you get a raise or win money you will start again? What if someone gives you cigarettes? Now, let's say your reason is to improve your health and you fully realize that smoking is a killer and you want to do everything you can to have a long, healthy life. There's a good chance this motivation will be stronger than the monetary one. When I stopped smoking more than twenty years ago, my first motivation was financial and I also did not want to die of a lung-related cancer. That reason has kept me cigarette free since then.

Look at the changes you want to make. Why do you want to make them? Find a motivation that will stand any possible assault. Once you have found it, write it down on post-it notes and leave them in stragegic spots in your home and office.

Marguerite Tennier, M.A.
The coach who wants to change the world,
One Man at a time

http://www.canadascoach.com

Need help with your goals? Enquire about my multi-levels program with the Goal Getter Kitemail me marguerite@canadascoach.com



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?