Thursday, December 30, 2004

 

Getting into the habit of regular exercise

Exercise is not something I grew up with. It's still an effort to do it and for that reason I make sure I try to have some extra benefits. For example, our winters around Ottawa-Outaouais are pretty mean and cold but I love breathing fresh air. For me it beats a gym anytime. Many years ago I started cross-country skiing. While I could use the trails right in town, I prefer to head up to the Gatineau Park where I can be in real nature, occasionally crossing path with a fox. Being in nature makes my exercise routine easier. Doing my exercise outside makes me feel I am really doing something good both for my body and soul. While I have gone skiing on days when the outside temperature was minus 30, I have made pact with myself that anyday colder than minus 20 is more appropriate to yoga in my living room or a swim or just curling up with a good book.
I also love swimming and our summers are short. The interior pool I have been using is fairly cold and I was getting reluctant to continue. I was fortunate that someone at my old pool told me about a recently renovated sport complex in town where the water is warmer. What a difference: I closed my eyes and I imagined I was at the sea. It worked. Today is the third day in a row I will go swimming there.

Is it a challenge for you to exercise? What would you need to add or change in the environment to make the experience more pleasant so that you are less tempted to find excuses? Find a gym closer to home? Get a gym buddy? Try something new?

Or are you someone who has no limits when it comes to exercise? Overdoing it? If you normally run or jog, sign up for a ten week yoga class, or tai chi to help you to connect with your inner self.

Marguerite
The coach who wants to change the world
One Man at a Time
http://www.canadascoach.com

P.S. The first issue of my electronic newsletter came out on Dec. 28 - If you are already a subscriber but missed the Dec. 28 issue, you can send me an email at
marguerite@canadascoach.com and I will send you a copy.




<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?