Friday, August 13, 2004

 

Relationship Success stories - The power of coaching

I never stop to be amazed at the incredible impact I have on my clients' lives through coaching.
Before I accept someone as a new client, I like to have a trial coaching conversation to assess whether we are a good fit and I do this by coaching the person on the goal or issue at hand. I had a couple of such conversations late last week and both people emailed me to let me know what had happened as a result of our 30 minutes talk.
In the first situation, a man I will call Rex had indicated on the pre-call assessment form that relationships was the area he wanted to be coached on. Rex is a corporate executive with a very successful career and a busy social life. He told me he was interested in a woman friend and wanted to ask her out but felt she would not be interested because she was beautiful and popular. They had been friends for a while and usually met through activities where they both participated. Rex is a sensitive guy and he has had a number of heartbreaks. His confidence was pretty low.
I asked him whether he knew for sure she would reject him or whether he was making this up. He had to admit he did not know for sure. I then asked him what he was willing to do to stop waiting, wishing and hoping for things to change. I suggested he start with a small risk. He committed to making certain he sat next to her at their next gathering and to suggest doing an activity together.
Three days later, he sent me an email. He had taken the risk and the lady accepted. They have an informal date this week. He was amazed and thankful for that short coaching session. He knows that coaching can really help him increase his self-confidence to create the personal life he wants.

I will tell you about the second client on the next posting.

Have a great weekend
Marguerite Tennier, M.A.
The coach who wants to change the world,
One Man at a Time
http://www.canadascoach.com



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?