Sunday, July 25, 2004

 

I know why I am happy - Are you happy?

I was going to start the post by defining happiness and then I realized it could take me a long time to find the words that would accurately describe the feeling of peace and contentment, sometimes mixed with pure joy that I often feel.   I am a happy person and I think I have always had the capacity for that "inner grin" for no reason at all (guess that could be my definition of happiness) .  I read today that Oxford University has just published a book titled Character Strengths and Virtues (2004) which lists 24 qualities and virtues that are essential for happiness.   The article mentioned ten of those qualities and virtues and I realize that I possess all at least to a degree (I score lowest on humility and modesty).
The ten mentioned are: love of learning, creativity, humility/modesty, humour, persistence, gratitude, forgiveness, appreciation of beauty/excellence, spirituality and finally, vitality.   You don't need to be born with those traits.  They can be developed.  I can attest to that.  Although I think I was born with some, I am definitely still developing a few (spirituality, gratitude, persistence (a lifelong task)  and of course humility/modesty).

Which of the ten traits do you possess?  Which could be developed further?   Can you see how developing some trait further can help you have a greater life?   Which one are you willing to target and work on? 

Marguerite Tennier
The coach who wants to change the world,
One Man at a Time
http://www.canadascoach.com  




Comments:

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?