Wednesday, July 07, 2004

 

Creating space

Welcome to my new weblog. The subject today is creating space or for some of us, pack rats, letting go. I am in the process of cleaning the basement in preparation for a move later in the summer or in the fall, whenever I get ready to put my house on the market and find a buyer. Although I feel I am blessed with many qualities, order and organization are not my strong points. I have always excused my challenges as part of my artistic bend. While cleaning the basement this morning, I realize being a packrat has a lot more to do with other stuff. I am sentimental, so anything that reminds me of someone I love or have loved is a keeper. I am a perfectionist, so I still believe I will try at least some of the 300,000 recipes I have collected over the years. My insecurity begs me to keep the stuff "I may need someday" and my upbringing of not wasting has me with towels and bed linen that belonged to my mom, who died fourteen years ago (well, sentimentality is also responsible for that). What's new for me this time I that I am determined not to move anything I don't absolutely love or use on a regular basis. This new determination helps me to put in the garbage or give away bag stuff I have hauled for many years. Unused stuff is clutter. It takes space, it gathers dust, it takes energy. Clearing clutter is not the only way to have more energy and change your life. Yet, if like me you are domestically challenged and you want to change, choose one spot to declutter, whether it's your office, your kitchen or your bathroom, and commit twenty minutes three times a week (just like your exercise) to the task of creating more space in your life.
Marguerite Tennier
http://www.canadascoach.com

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?